Hey there, welcome to our best cheap work boots review for 2021.
Most Comfortable Cheap Work Boot
We’ve put together a list of the top 10 good cheap work boots for workers on a low budget and our #1 recommendation based on what we’ve found in our research is the Caterpillar Outline.
- Most Comfortable Cheap Work Boot
- 10 inexpensive work boots models for men & women
- What to look for in a good inexpensive work boot? (Buyer’s Guide)
- 1. Comfort (number one)
- 2. Toe protection
- 3. Puncture protection
- 4. Ankle protection
- 5. Price
- Are cheaper work boots less comfortable than the more expensive ones?
- Are cheaper work boot brands trustworthy?
- Can you make your cheap work boots more comfortable?
- Main differences between cheap work boots and expensive ones
- Best places to buy cheap work boots if you’re on a budget
- Reviews of the top 10 best affordable work boots under $100 for workers with a low budget
- 1. Caterpillar Outline work boots
- 2. Ever Boots Tank work boots
- 3. Dickies Prowler work boots
- 4. Ever Boots Protector work boots
- 5. Caterpillar Second Shift work boots
- 6. TOSAFZXY Durable work boots
- 7. Timberland White Ledge work boots
- 8. Handrock stylish work boots
- 9. Servus: great work boot for farming
- 10. Caterpillar Resolver work boots
- Bottom line: Are cheaper work boots worth the money?
To bring you this article we’ve researched over 39 websites, looked at 31 different inexpensive work boot brands and models and we have read dozens of customer reviews and feedback for each make of boot that made the cut, as well as a few that did not.
Overall we’ve spent over 55 hours of our time looking into all of these affordable work boots to bring you the most important information for each boot.
This article will inform you as to which work boots are best for different kinds of workers, and some things to consider when buying cheap work boots more generally.
10 inexpensive work boots models for men & women
Here’s a quick comparison table if you’re curious about which affordable work boots we’ve included in our round-up.
1. Caterpillar Outline
- Water resistant
- 100% leather
- Steel toe
Best Cheap Steel
Toe Work Boot
2. Ever Boots Tank
- 100% leather
- Soft toe
Best Under $70
3. Dickies Prowler
- Water repellent
- 100% suede
- Steel toe
Best Under $50
4. Ever Boots
- Water resistant
- 100% leather
- Steel toe
Cheap Work Boots
- Water repellent
- 100% leather
- Steel toe
Cheap Work Boots
- Crazy-horse leather
- Steel toe
Cheap Leather Work Boots
- Water repellent
- 100% leather
- Non safety toe
Affordable Soft Toe
- Water resistant
- Full grain leather
- Composite toe
Sole Work Boots
- Soft toe
10. Caterpillar Revolver
- Water resistant
- 100% leather
- Steel toe
Slip-On Work Boots
What to look for in a good inexpensive work boot? (Buyer’s Guide)
What to look for in a good inexpensive work boot? Here’s where to start …
1. Comfort (number one)
Making sure work boots are comfortable is the number one thing you should take into consideration when you are shopping among the cheaper work boots.
Boots that provide you with a steel shank will be more comfortable than those that don’t; this is because they provide extra support.
It’s also important to check sizing, some work boot types such as the Ever Boot run ½ a size bigger than others, meaning that you can accidentally buy boots that are too loose.
2. Toe protection
It is important to abide by the regulations of your worksite. If they require steel toe work boots, then you need to make sure you are buying steel toe work boots.
Generally in terms of cost, soft toes will be cheaper than steel toes which will be, in turn, cheaper than composite toe caps. The latter are the most expensive due to the cost of the artificial materials.
3. Puncture protection
For puncture protection you want to analyse the materials that the midsoles are made from. Both steel and Woven fabrics such as Kevlar or Twaron are good at protecting your feet from punctures or sharp objects on the work site.
Steel midsoles have the disadvantage of not protecting the full bottom surface of the footwear, with a few mm around the edges of the work boots being unfortunately unprotected from punctures.
So composite materials like Kevlar are usually best, however these are slightly more expensive than steel (or no midsole protection at all).
4. Ankle protection
The greater the distance on the back of a boot from the sole to the top of the shaft, the greater amount of ankle support provided.
This is why we recommend buying high-tops for ankle support where possible. The Servus, in this roundup, is particularly good for this.
The work boots in this roundup range anywhere from $29 to $100. If you are really on a tight budget, some of the work boots in this roundup may therefore be too expensive for you.
Therefore, when choosing from this range, price may still be a consideration. Be sure not to sacrifice essential features for an extra $10 saving, it almost certainly is not worth it.
Especially if the work boots collapse within a few weeks of purchase and you find yourself needing to buy a new pair anyway.
Are cheaper work boots less comfortable than the more expensive ones?
It is possible, but by no means certain, that cheaper work boots will be less comfortable.
The cheaper the pair of work boots, the more likely that some feature, from comfort, to quality, to durability, will be sacrificed.
For example, steel toe cap boots are generally cheaper than composite toe caps, but they are less comfortable.
You’re not going to find the perfect pair at the lowest possible price, so any discount you gain will be offset against some kind of disadvantage, of which comfort can be one.
Are cheaper work boot brands trustworthy?
Even cheaper work boots that come from established brands will usually be offered with a warranty gratis or for a small additional charge.
While cheaper work boots are probably made from cheaper materials, you never know! You may get lucky with a cheap pair of work boots and they’ll last forever, it’s certainly happened to me.
Can you make your cheap work boots more comfortable?
There are a number of things you can do to make cheap work boots more comfortable.
Firstly, make sure they fit! It usually costs you nothing to buy a size-up or a size-down. An ill-fitting pair of work boots can cause issues from bruises and blisters to athlete’s foot and peripheral neuropathy.
Secondly, invest in a cushioned insole. For only a few extra $, you’ll feel like you’re walking on a duvet.
Insoles have the unique ability to absorb foot pressure, be it standing, walking or running. They are perfect for a worksite, particularly if you are carrying heavy objects across worksites.
Insoles also allow boots to last longer, preventing them from breaking down and becoming less comfortable. So they save you money as well as keep you comfortable!
One final thing you can do to make cheap work boots more comfortable is to buy compression socks.
Compression socks maximise comfort by promoting blood circulation in the lower areas of the legs, and prevent swelling.
So if your cheap work boots are giving you a bit of pain, then swapping them in for a different size, buying insoles, and buying compression socks are three ways you can make them more comfortable.
Main differences between cheap work boots and expensive ones
If you want a visual demonstration, this video from Carl Murawski is very good. Carl’s point of view is that it is ‘worth spending more money.
The main area where money is saved is the material used between the insole and the outsole.
This is the stuff that keeps the boot together, and if it’s made from cheap material like cardboard or paper, this will simply result in the boots compression support collapsing quickly and it will just feel like you are walking on the floor.
A thick, hard sole, on the other hand, will keep your feet supported and you comfortable.
A top-tip is to see a cross-section of the workboot if you can (obviously going into a shop and cutting open a boot is not possible).
Best places to buy cheap work boots if you’re on a budget
You’ve seen already on this page that we suggest you buy cheap work boots on Amazon. It’s for your convenience to buy them online and Amazon is a trusted place.
But there are other online stores such as Shoe Zone which is a market leader for cheap trainers, school shoes, and work boots for those on a budget.
So buying online could kit out the entire family in just one shipment.
In the next section you’ll find reviews about the cheap work boots we’ve decided to include in our round up plus links to the specific product on Amazon. Buying online is the best way to go about it if you’re busy working all day!
Reviews of the top 10 best affordable work boots under $100 for workers with a low budget
Alright, let’s jump into some detailed reviews of each one of these cheaper work boots we’ve included in today’s round-up.
We’ll start with the editor’s choice …
1. Caterpillar Outline work boots
Best Cheap Steel Toe Work Boot
The Caterpillar Outline is the best boot manufactured by Caterpillar, a designer of work boots who also manufacture industrial equipment.
They know exactly about the equipment that, if dropped or brushed up against, their steel toe caps need to protect you against.
For this boot to be the best cheap steel toe cap boot in their extensive range is quite the accomplishment.
The speed lacing system of this work boot is designed so that you can take these boots on and off very quickly.
The vast majority of people who have bought these work boots are delighted with them, claiming that they break in quickly and are very comfortable from day one.
All of the above makes the Outline, one of the best work boots under 100 dollars on today’s market. You can read our review of the Caterpillar Outline steel toe work boot here.
- Steel toe cap that conforms to ASTM F2413-11 I/75 C/75 standards
- Slip-resistant T1260 Outsole, ensuring you remain upright even on slippery worksites
- Nylon Mesh Lining with Microfiber Sock Liner, ensuring your feet remain adequately ventilated.
- Users who have bought this pair of boots have found them to be extremely comfortable for being work boots.
- Steel toe means that it is heavier and less comfortable than other kinds of work boots
- Some people who have bought this boot have found it to fall apart very quickly.
2. Ever Boots Tank work boots
Best Cheap Work Boots Under $70
If you can afford to spend a little, and have a budget of $50-$100 for work boots, then the EVER BOOTS Tank soft toe work boots are the best choice for you.
They are made from 100% high-quality soft leather, which takes the pain out of breaking in work boots that can come with hard grain.
They are also equipped with speed hooks, so as well as being easy to break in, they are also easy to put on and take off, ensuring you don’t waste time on the worksite fiddling around with them.
You may think such a bargain comes at the expense of high quality construction, however these boots are made from Goodwelt construction, the toughest kind invented that has been in the industry for over 150 years.
Goodwill construction involves a Goodyear welt, which is a strip of leather that is sewn around the bottom edge of a shoe, making sure it is attached to both the insole and the upper.
The welt can then be easily unstitched, without damaging the rest of the work boot, allowing you to resole them regularly.
This is another advantage to buying these boots, as you can get them regularly resoled, which may save you even more money. Read more about resoling your work boots here.
- High-quality Goodyear welt construction enabling regular resoling
- Shaft measures 7 inches from the arch for extra ankle support.
- Steel shanks alleviate the pressure when you are going up ladders or down the stairs
- Boots come with insulated mesh lining to keep your feet warm and comfortable
- Soft nubuck leather takes the pain you often experience in breaking in new work boots
- Soft toe will not protect you from all of the dangers of a modern worksite.
- Some users have had negative experiences of these boots breaking down quickly.
3. Dickies Prowler work boots
Best Work Boots Under 50 Dollars
This is a rough and ready solution for the working professional looking for a real bargain.
The Dickies Prowler work boots cost under $50, and for that money, you get a steel toe with electric hazard protection and a slip-resistant rubber outsole.
Both of these features mean that you will be able to stay safe on the worksite, no matter the dangers.
They are also made from goodyear welt construction, meaning that they are durable and will stand up to the strains of everyday working.
Being one of the best work boots under 50 bucks, these are a bargain pair of work boots you can wear with confidence (without breaking the bank)
- Less than $50- a very good deal compared to other work boots which cost $100s.
- Durable- workers who typically get through a more expensive pair in 6-8 months found this one to last one year
- Goodyear welt construction for a high quality, tough work boot.
- Steel toe with electrical hazard protection, so you don’t need to worry about the toe causing electric shocks.
- Slip-resistant outsole.
- Soft leather may not be as protective as full-grain leather.
- Only ankle height shaft, may not provide as much support as longer work boots.
4. Ever Boots Protector work boots
Best Cheap Work Boot For Electricians
If you’re an electrician looking for a cheap pair of work boots then look no further than the Ever Boots Protector.
These boots contain a number of features to protect you from the hazards of any worksite.
The steel toe cap conforms to ASTM F2413 M/I-75/C-95 standards, meaning it will protect your feet from a nominal impact of 75 pounds.
The hard soles will protect your feet from shocks of up to 18,000 joules.
And for perfect stability, the work boot comes with steel shanks ensuring you can remain upright and do not put too much pressure on your knees.
These are the perfect ‘safety’ buy for the budget conscious construction professional.
- Slip-resistant rubber outsole, ensuring you remain upright no matter how slippery the worksite is.
- Big fitting, these work boots run ½ a size larger than normal brands, meaning you do not need to worry about accidentally buying a pair of work boots that are too tight.
- Multi-layered outsole offers superior shock-absorbing qualities, alleviating pressure around the arch of your feet.
- Real steel toe, for high-quality impact protection.
- Users seem delighted with how durable and comfortable these boots are and it has largely positive reviews.
- An unfortunate downside is that the steel toe makes the boot heavier, which may cause discomfort and fatigue for some construction professionals.
- Boots running a big size mean you may end up buying boots that are too loose.
5. Caterpillar Second Shift work boots
Best Cheap Work Boots For Mechanics
If you are a mechanic looking for a high-quality pair of work boots at an affordable price, then look no further than the Caterpillar Second Shift work boots.
The oil resistant T3 Rubber outsole will ensure you can work with any kind of car, and use as much oil as you need without worrying about slipping and injuring yourself, or causing a wider danger on the worksite.
The boot also comes with a steel shank for additional stability and support, ensuring the strains are not just located on your knees.
If you are working with electrics, then this work boot may also come in handy as it features Electric Hazard protective features that will protect the wearer against open circuits up to 14,000 volts in dry conditions.
And as well as being protected from the dangers of a garage or mechanical worksite, the breathable insole will keep your feet comfortable and well-ventilated in those hot summer days.
So this work boot is perfect for mechanics, and it is also ideal for electricians and any other professionals in need of a high-quality pair of work boots.
- Quality oiled full-grain, for a high-quality upper work boot.
- Steel toe is I75/C75- the highest available strength for impact and compression.
- Slip-resistant rubber outsoles reduce the risk of falls and injuries.
- Keeps the wearer safe from electrical hazards, making it suitable for electricians as well as mechanics.
- Engineered nylon mesh lining optimizes breathability and comfort.
- At just a bit less than $100 plus shipping, this work boot may be beyond your means if you are really on a very tight budget.
- Steel toe makes the boot heavier and less comfortable.
6. TOSAFZXY Durable work boots
Best Combat Work Boots
For Hot Days
The TOSAFZXY is the highest quality leather work boot in this budget range.
It’s made from crazy horse leather, a leather commonly used in the construction of horse saddles, hence the name.
Crazy horse leather is known for its durability, made from 100% cowhide, and as time goes by the boots will become brighter, ensuring they stand out on the work site.
The boot also have steel plates embedded in the toe, passing the ASTM F2412/F2413 standard, meaning that it will protect our feet from the drops and dangers of a modern worksite.
Finally, the anti-puncture midsole is made from Kevlar, and it is thus able to resist punctures with a force of up t0 1100 Newtons.
So do not think that by economizing and spending less than $110, you can’t find a work boot that uses good quality leather, is durable and will keep your feet safe.
- Users have verified that this work boot is completely waterproof. Perfect for outdoor workers.
- Goodyear welt construction, for a high-quality finish and thus also comes with the ability for the boot to be resoled.
- Anti-puncture midsole will protect you from a force of up to 1100N.
- Non-slip rubber sole protects you from oil spills and is resistant to temperatures up to 390F.
- Durable steel toe that will keep your feet safe from dropped heavy objects.
- At around $100 plus shipping for the bigger sizes, this work boot may be beyond the means of the worker on a tight budget.
- The hard leather may make the work boots slightly less comfortable than softer leather work boots.
7. Timberland White Ledge work boots
Best Cheap Work Boots With Soft Toe
If you’re looking for a lightweight, cheap and comfortable pair of work boots from a high-quality, trusted manufacturer of work boots then look no further than the Timberland White Ledge.
Featuring full-grain waterproof leather, these work boots are perfect for keeping your feet dry both for the outdoor worksite in winter and rainy days and the long weekend hike.
And if protecting the environment is important for you when you are making consumer decisions, you will be pleased to know the rubber outsole is made from recycled materials.
An environmentally conscious purchase, perfect for the great outdoors.
- Soft toe boots are usually more comfortable than steel toe cap work boots.
- Waterproof full grain leather will keep your feet dry.
- Good for hiking as well as the worksite.
- Made by Timberland- one of the most well-respected, established manufacturers of work boots in the business who have been in the industry for nearly 100 years.
- 1.1 pounds per boot- very lightweight
- Soft toe will not protect you from dropped tools, and may not conform to the safety standards of every single worksite. Check with your sites manager or safety officer before buying these work boots
- Full-grain leather will be less comfortable than softer top-grain options
8. Handrock stylish work boots
Best Cheap Wedge Sole Work Boots
The Handrock is the best pair of wedge sole work boots in our roundup.
Wedge sole work boots are boots with a thicker sole that, as the name suggests, is shaped like a wedge. Handrock boots use high quality construction to wedge these soles to the uppers.
This design can radically improve comfort compared to traditional heel designs as it distributes the impact of stepping and weights across the entire foot. This also makes for better stability and a decreased risk of foot pains.
As well as comfort on the pressure points, the Handrock wedge sole work boots are also equipped with CoolMAX Tech for maximum breathability that will keep your feet cool throughout the length of the long working shifts.
Finally, these work boots come with a 90-day warranty, allowing you to shop with confidence. These guys are sure that you will love these work boots and they will last the course on your work site.
Of course, if you liked this work boot and you want to see a wider range of great soft toe work boots, check out this page.
- Wedge sole increases comfort and decreases risk of knee or feet pains
- 90 day warranty, giving you more security when you buy these boots
- The non-slip abrasion resistant outsole will prevent you slipping on your worksite, as well as giving you a longer wear time with less fatigue.
- Kevlar puncture resistant midsole will protect the underbelly of your feet from the sharp objects on the worksite
- Metal free composite toe is half the weight of your average steel toe, making these work boots lighter than comparative work boots.
- Wedge sole work boots generally do not have the same degree of durability as ‘heel’ work boots as their thinner soles wear out faster.
- Wedge sole work boots have less traction, and so are not as good on less even worksites.
9. Servus: great work boot for farming
Best Cheap Rubber Work Boots
These boots are made in the US. The smooth leather lining naturally wicks away moisture to keep your feet safe and comfortable all day.
If you’re really on a budget, look no further than the Servus work boot which comes in at under $50.
Shaped like a wellington boot, the Polyvinyl Chloride is resistant to mud, water and agricultural chemicals so it is perfect for outdoor workers in that sector as well as farmers or forestry experts.
The pull-on style makes it easier to put on and take off, no need to mess around with laces that might get stuck in machines. If you’re a big fan of this style of boots, feel free to check out our pull-on work boots round-up for more slip-on work boots!
And finally, the outsole of this work boot is suited for ASTM F2413-11 EH. So even if you do not work in the agricultural sector or outdoors, this work boot has protective features for you.
- Less than $50, a real bargain amongst work boot enthusiasts
- Waterproof material, making it ideal for outdoor workers.
- The material also resistant to agricultural chemicals, making it perfect for
- ASTM F2413-11 EH protective outsole, good for electricians and indoor workers.
- Pull-on work boots are insufficiently protective for some work sites.
- Does not come with a warranty according to one customer.
10. Caterpillar Resolver work boots
Best Cheap Pull-On Work Boots
If you’re on a budget, there is no need to spend extra money on protective features that you don’t need.
They will just weigh you down and make your work experience less comfortable.
That’s where the Caterpillar Revolver Pull on boot comes in.
With a soft toe and weighing in at just 1.9 pounds per boot, this pair of pull on work boots comes in at one of the more lightweight boot options presented to you in this round up.
It’s also the best cheap pull on in our roundup,.
One more think we liked is the oil and slip-resistant outsole which keeps you secure from slips and trips.
This boot thus brilliantly combines safety and comfort with ease of wear and a light, breathable feel.
- Lightweight at just 1.9 pounds per boot. Perfect for those who move a lot and don’t want to be weighed down by unnecessary features.
- Oil and Slip resistance, ensuring that even if you use these boots for dangerous work they can still keep you safe
- Users have generally found it easy to adapt to these boots quickly; there is a minimal ‘breaking in’ time.
- The soft toe may be unsafe on some of the more dangerous worksites.
- At nearly $100 it may be too expensive for some on a very cheap budget.
Bottom line: Are cheaper work boots worth the money?
No matter the safety regulations of your worksite, it seems you can find work boot protective features (Electric Hazard protections, Steel Toe, Puncture resistant midsole, etc) that meet the standards of your work site.
And all of the boots in this roundup have largely positive reviews, with only a few disappointed customers, as you will get in the more expensive work boots.
So it turns out you do not always need to spend hundreds of dollars to get a high-quality work boot.
Best Quality Cheap Work Boot
Team Members Working On This Page
Construction Professional, driver, crane operator, cleaner, head chef … these are just some of the jobs I did in the past. Working in all these different environments taught me that having good footwear to protect your feet from different dangers at work IS PARAMOUNT for any worker! On this website, I aim to share all my knowledge and personal experience in dealing with different footwear and foot care issues, and hopefully, you can get something out of it. Enjoy!
I’m an MA student currently working on a research project for King’s College London Museum of Life Sciences alongside my MA dissertation. I have been published in my student newspaper, The Spectator, and the Adam Smith Institute. I’m doing part of the research and writing of the content you’ll read on BestForMyFeet.com Enjoy!