Most Rated Steel Toe
Work Boot From Carhartt
We’ve put together a list of the top 12 best work boots produced by the Carhartt brand and our #1 recommendation based on what we’ve found in our research is the Carhartt Traditional Welt.
- Most Rated Steel Toe Work Boot From Carhartt
- Compare 10 of the best Carhartt work boots
- Best For Contractors
- Best For Landscapers
- Best Rubber Boots For Farm Work
- Most Stylish Steel Toe Work Boots
- Best For Workers In The Logging Business
- Best For Construction Workers
- Best Breathable Leather Work Boot
- Lightweight Casual Looking Work Boot
- Great Looking Ankle High Slip On Work Boot
- Best For Summer Days
- Best For Narrow Feet
- Best For Cold Weather
- Reviewing 12 best work boots from Carhartt
- 1. Carhartt Traditional Welt safety work boots
- 2. Carhartt Bison pull on work boots
- 3. Carhartt Mudrunner waterproof rubber work boots
- 4. Carhartt Wedge steel toe work boots
- 5. Carhartt Logger work boots
- 6. Carhartt Ground Force 6″ and 8″
- 7. Carhartt Rugged Flex with composite toe
- 8. Carhartt Moc Toe casual work boot
- 9. Carhartt Romeo slip on ankle work boot
- 10. Carhartt Hiker soft toe work boot
- 11. Carhartt square toe work boots
- 12. Carhartt Insulated work boots
- All You Need To Know About Carhartt Work Boots
- Where are Carhartt work boots made?
- Who makes Carhartt work boots?
- Does Carhartt make comfortable work boots?
- What Carhartt work boots are made off?
- Weight: how heavy Carhart work boots are?
- Are they true to size?
- What users/owners say about these work boots?
- What colors do they come in?
- The different boot heights made by Carhartt
- Does Carhartt make work boots with a zipper?
- What industries are Carhartt boots good for?
- Features you’ll find in the Carhartt work boots
- Price: how much Carhartt boots cost?
- What’s the best place to buy Carhartt work boots?
- Does Carhartt have a warranty for their work boots?
- Bottom line: Is Carhartt a good work boot brand that you can trust?
- Best Carhartt Work Boots (Overall)
To bring you this article we’ve researched over 50 websites, looked at twenty different makes of work boots by Carhartt, and we have read dozens of customer reviews and feedback for each make of boot that made the cut, as well as a few that did not.
Overall we’ve spent over 34 hours of our time looking into all of these twelve work boots to bring you the most important information for each boot.
Carhartt is a premium brand of work boots who employ more American workers than the average work boot manufacturers.
They pride themselves on the high-quality work boots made from premium materials that their highly trained and dedicated members of staff put out.
So it was incredibly hard for us to choose just twelve best work boots for this roundup.
Compare 10 of the best Carhartt work boots
Here’s a quick comparison table if you’re curious about which Carhartt work boots we’ve included in our round-up.
- EH protection
- 100% leather
- Steel toe
Best For Contractors
2. Carhartt Bison
- 100% leather
- Steel toe
Best For Landscapers
3. Carhartt Mudrunner
- Rubber & neoprene
- Steel toe
Best Rubber Boots
For Farm Work
4. Carhartt 6″ Wedge
- EH protection
- 100% leather
- Steel toe
Most Stylish Steel Toe Work Boots
5. Carhartt Loggers
- Waterproof membrane
- 100% leather
- Composite toe
Best For Workers In The Logging Business
- 100% leather
- Composite toe
Best For Construction Workers
- 100% leather
- Composite toe
Best Breathable Leather Work Boot
8. Carhartt Casual
- Not waterproof
- 100% leather
- Soft toe
Looking Work Boot
9. Carhartt Romeo
- 100% leather
- Composite toe
Great Looking Ankle High Slip On Work Boot
10. Carhartt Hiker
- Not waterproof
- 100% synthetic
- Steel toe
Best For Summer Days
- 50% leather/50% Fabric
- Steel toe
Best For Narrow Feet
12. Carhartt Insulated
- 100% leather
- Composite toe
Best For Cold Weather
Reviewing 12 best work boots from Carhartt
Alright, let’s jump into some detailed reviews of each one of these Carhartt work boots we’ve included in today’s round up.
We’ll start with the best rated …
1. Carhartt Traditional Welt safety work boots
Most Rated Steel Toe Work
Boot Made By Carhartt
The Carhartt Men’s 6 inch Work Safety-Toe Work Boot is a reliable, durable and comfortable work boot suitable for professionals across a wide range of industries.
The Steel Toe meets the requisite ATSM 2413-05 standards meaning it can withstand a 20kg drop from height. So you can work with industrial equipment on your worksite with confidence.
But the steel toe will not leave you exposed to electric shocks as the boot also meets the ASTM electric safety protections.
The Goodyear welt construction makes the work boot incredibly durable, so you do not need to worry about it falling apart.
And the lug bottom Carhartt rubber outsoles provide superior traction and durability, minimizing your risk of dangerous trips and falls.
- Secure lacing system for comfort and security.
- Steel Toe cap meets ATSM 2413-05 standards for security and protection
- 100% leather for a soft feel
- Steel toe caps may make the work boot a bit heavy.
2. Carhartt Bison pull on work boots
Great Wellington Work
Boot With Safety Toe
The Carhartt Bison is ideal for outdoor workers who operate in rainy or wet climates.
Featuring Storm Defender Waterproof Breathable Protection which is designed to be totally waterproof, keeping your feet dry no matter the weather and the conditions.
The advantage of these boots being so tall is that they provide additional stability for those who need it while walking around worksites with a lot of uneven terrain. They also have a cushioned insole for additional comfort and support.
And while the steel toe cap does meet the requisite ASTM F2413-18 standards for the protection of your toes, this work boot also comes with a soft toe variety here.
One final excellent feature which will provide you with a lot of support and avoid ankle injuries is the TPU heel with achilles flex joint.
So this is the ideal ‘comfort’ choice both for those looking for a Carhartt work boot that is steel toe and a soft toe.
- Comes in Steel and Soft Toe varieties
- Tall shaft for extra support
- Cushioned insoles for extra comfort
- The tall shaft will reduce the flexibility given to your feet
- Pull on work boots are difficult to tighten, sometimes resulting in a loose fit.
3. Carhartt Mudrunner waterproof rubber work boots
Knee High Work Boots
Great For Farm Work
This is another work boot that utilizes Storm Defender waterproofing technology to ensure that your feet whilst wearing these are totally dry.
So it’s ideal for outdoor workers in rainy conditions or people who work in agriculture or forestry.
The Carbon Nano safety toe conforms to ASTM F2413-18 EH standards, ensuring it is both lightweight, protective and electricity-proof.
These are pull on work boots, meaning that you can put them on and take them off really quickly, no need to mess around with shoe laces.
Finally, the footbed utilizes Supportive INSITE technology which reduces foot fatigue and provides arch support, making this work boot ideal for all kinds of workers who are on their feet for long periods of the day.
If you liked this boot, we’re sure you’d like to find out about more similar models. Find out what are the best waterproof work boots here before making a decision of which one you should choose.
- Very high shaft for extra support and stability
- Soft cushioned footbed reducing foot fatigue.
- Storm Defender waterproofing technology.
- Rubber work boots are generally less comfortable and flexible than leather work boots.
4. Carhartt Wedge steel toe work boots
Very Stylish Steel Toe Work Boot
If you are looking for a high quality wedge sole work boot then you should definitely consider the Carhartt Wedge Sole
Wedge sole work boots are work boots that have a larger surface area at the bottom than heel or arch boots.
The advantage for this when working on concrete is that far more of the work boot is in contact with the ground at any one point while you are walking around.
Here’s a list of the best concrete work boots for walking and standing all day if you’re looking for inspiration.
This reduces the chance of ankle pains or long-term feet problems.
Wedge soles also improve the traction of the work boot over other kinds like arched heel, meaning there is a reduced chance of falling over.
This work boot also features a steel toe cap that meets ASTM F2413-18 standards and it provides electrical hazard protection of up to 18,000 volts.
- Steel toe cap
- Electrical hazard protection for up to 18,000 volts
- Wedge sole, ideal for shock absorption on the concrete worksite
- Wedge sole reduces the chance of feet pains
- Steel toe cap boots are sometimes heavier than soft toe cap boots.
5. Carhartt Logger work boots
Composite Toe Work Boots For Loggers
The Carhartt Men’s 8″ Waterproof Composite Toe Leather Logger Boot is the boot of choice for those who work hard and play harder.
The upper is crafted from oil tanned Crazy Horse leather that has been waterproofed to ensure your feet stay dry in wet conditions.
Crazy horse leather is commonly used in the construction of horse saddles, hence the name. It is made from cowhide and is known for its durability and the fact that with crazy horse leather, as time goes by, the boots will become brother and more finished.
The leather part of the work boot is also made in the USA, though other parts of the boot are imported.
This boot also features a Goodyear welt construction, which means it can be resoled again and again so you can get more life out of them.
The PU strobel pad with PU cushion insoles provide comfort and support to ensure you stay comfortable on the worksite.
Users online who have bought this product have been delighted with its longevity and the warmth that comes with the waterproofing.
- Made in USA Crazy Horse Leather gives the work boot a high-quality finish
- Goodyear welt construction means the work boot is strong and durable
- Can be resoled, which is good for the environment and people looking to save money
- Waterproof – so your feet will remain dry on the worksite
- Some users have had some slight issues with the sizing of these work boots
6. Carhartt Ground Force 6″ and 8″
Great Carhartt Work Boot For Construction Workers
Carhartt’s all-new composite toe boot the ‘Ground Force’ is a combination of comfort, durability and protection.
These boots are made with a waterproof breathable membrane that allows air to circulate so your feet can breathe.
They’re built to last with a rugged, oil-resistant upper and a waterproof membrane that keeps feet dry.
The durable outsole is non-marking for use in dry areas like warehouses or on manufacturing floors. A steel shank provides extra support for your foot and the padded collar helps keep out debris.
These men’s boots are made of full grain leather uppers that are oil-resistant, meeting all the requisite standards.
If you are looking for just that little bit of extra flexible support, these work boots also come in an 8” which are available here.
The difference between six and eight inches in work boot height is associated with more breathability and flexibility with the shorter pair, but this is traded off against slightly less ankle support.
It depends very much on the structure of your feet and what you are looking for in a work boot.
- Ax Suede top cover material provides 30% more grip, this reduces foot slip and fatigue
- Oil resistant full-grain leather
- Dual sole footbed for extra comfort.
- Even 8” may be a tad short for some professionals- there are others in this range for 11 or 15 inches
7. Carhartt Rugged Flex with composite toe
Breathable Leather Work Boots
The Carhartt Rugged Flex 6″ Waterproof Composite Toe Work Boots are designed to be completely waterproof and breathable and to withstand the elements. .
Its waterproof leather and Cordura upper, coupled with a breathable Gore-Tex membrane, means you’ll stay dry and comfortable while working outside in the rain or on rainy days.
The full-grain leather footbed provides cushioning and support for all-day wear. A composite safety toe protects your feet from impact hazards, while an electrical hazard safety toe will guard against any incidental contact with live electrical circuits of 18,000 volts or less under dry conditions.
They’re made with a durable, abrasion-resistant leather upper that’s oil- and slip-resistant. For more on the difference between oil and slip resistance see here.
The composite safety toe helps protect against impact and compression hazards. Meaning that you can work confidently and safely in these boots knowing that they meet the highest standards for safety.
These boots have an electrical hazard (safety toe) for secondary protection against accidental contact with electrical circuits of 18,000 volts or less under dry conditions.
Other features include a steel shank for rigidity, a padded collar for comfort, and a removable cushioned footbed for minimized feet ache.
- Gore-tex waterproofing will keep your feet dry
- Electrical hazard protection of up to 18,000 volts
- Durable, abrasion-resistant leather that is both oil- and slip-resistant
- Some people who have bought this pair of work boots have found them to be a bit uncomfortable
8. Carhartt Moc Toe casual work boot
Lightweight Casual Look Work Boots
The Carhartt moc toe casual work boot is a modern twist on the classic moc toe boot.
Carhartt added a lightweight wedge sole to give this men’s shoe extra comfort and support in the workplace or at home. The casual work inspired boot has a soft footbed that makes it easy to wear all day long.
It is made with 100% leather, has an imported rubber sole that is abrasion resistant and measures approximately 7 inches from heel to toes.
These work boots are available in sizes 9-13 medium widths and comes in tan/brown color options.
- Wedge sole for excellent support working on concrete
- 100% leather, for a soft, flexible work boot feel
- Users who have bought this product loved how comfortable the work boots felt
- Leather is slightly thin for a work boot
9. Carhartt Romeo slip on ankle work boot
Look Great In These Carhartt
Pull-On Ankle Work Boots
These are the stylish work boots for professionals who want to make an impression with both their work and their style.
The Carhartt Romeo slip on ankle work boots feature a burnished leather upper with rugged good looks and dual stretch panels for a comfortable fit.
Their composite toe cap made from non-metallic products protects against hazards, while remaining lightweight at just 1.5 pounds per work boot.
The thick, lugged manmade sole gives you the traction you need to get the job done.
These work boots come in sizes ranging from 8 to 14- so almost no matter how big your feet are, there will most definitely be a size that fits you available for you.
- Short ankle-height shaft gives you excellent flexibility
- Very stylish
- Excellent traction- enabling you to complete the job you need to get done
- Short shaft- ankle boots provide less support than longer shafts
10. Carhartt Hiker soft toe work boot
Non-Safety Toe Hiker Work Boots
The Carhartt Men’s Lightweight Hiker 6-Inch Boot is a great choice for the worker or the hiker who wants support and comfort, but doesn’t want to sacrifice their style.
With its full grain leather upper, this boot will provide you with the durability that you need while also keeping your feet dry thanks to the waterproof membrane.
This boot features the Insite engineered footbed which was created from 120,000 3D Foot scans, this delivers unmatched fit, form and comfort.
This technology allows the boot to mold around your foot while providing you with a stable platform.
While we don’t always recommend having your hiking boots and your work boots be the same pair, if you were to do this, this would be a solid choice.
For those who work with dangerous or abrasive chemicals, these work boots offer protection from oils, fats and petrols with its own form of resistant full grain leather.
- Features an advanced Insite engineered footbed for maximal support and comfort.
- Meets ASTM 2413-11 Electrical Hazard Protection Standards.
- Fast Dry Technology within the work boot helps to wick away moisture
- Oil, fat, and petrol resistant. Work boots for professionals who use chemicals of any sort need this feature!
- Some users have had some foot pains associated with wearing this work boot- claiming it does not offer as much foot support as ideal.
11. Carhartt square toe work boots
Waterproof Steel Toed
Square Toe Work Boots
The Carhartt Men’s Square Toe Work boot is an ideal pull on work boot for flat-footed workers or those who need that additional bit of support from their work boots.
The TPU heel guard with the achilles flex joint provides excellent ankle stability.
It contains 400g of Thinsulate, a world leading brand of insulative material that utilises microfibres that keep your feet warm in the cold winter months.
FACT: Thinsulate is used by the US army, so you know it is going to do the insulative job very well.
400g is considered an ideal amount for moderate winters and summers, so if you are looking for a pair of work boots that you can wear the year around, these may be the ones for you.
Users who have bought this work boot have been amazed at the comfort and ease in which you can pull these work boots on and off.
If you’re a fan of these type of boots go ahead and read our best slip on work boots article and discover what other boots are available out there!
- The boot uses 3M Thinsulate material, a world-leading type of material in the sector
- Completely waterproof
- Incorporates FastDry Technology Lining, that wicks away sweat quickly for maximal comfort
- TPU heel guard offers excellent support for workers with flat feet or ankle issues
- No laces, so no need to worry about tying up loose ends or tripping over your laces.
- 400g of Thinsulate may be insufficient for workers operating in extremely cold conditions.
So you may need a different pair for the cold winter months. Check out our best winter work boots page for more models!
12. Carhartt Insulated work boots
Composite Tow Work Boots
For Cold Weather
The Carhartt Men’s CMF6366 6 Inch Composite Toe Boot is made of oil-tanned leather with Cordura nylon.
The Storm Defender waterproof protection makes it ideal for wet conditions.
This boot features a molded TPU heel counter that allows for enhanced stability and comfort. It also has a cushioned insole to provide underfoot cushioning and support.
The direct-attached welt construction gives you durability, while the dual-density PU outsole which is resistant to oil and chemicals.
It also meets slip resistant standards, meaning you can walk around the worksite in these boots in confidence, knowing you will remain upright.
These work boots are perfect for electricians. The electrical hazard safety toe can identify secondary protection against incidental contact with electrical circuits of 18,000 volts or less under dry conditions.
Several people who bought this product are certain such a feature has saved them from a serious injury whilst on the worksite.
These boots are imported, however do not think this reduces the quality of craftsmanship!
Users who have bought these work boots have loved the durability of work boots, with workers who worked eighty-hour weeks able to rely on the grip of the tread and the strength of the leather no matter how much they are put through.
- Electrical Hazard Safety Toe keeps will protect you from severe electrical dangers
- Full grain upper leathers make this work boot tough and durable
- Excellent tread design for maximal traction and support
- Not waterproof though they can be waterproofed if necessary
All You Need To Know About
Carhartt Work Boots
Where are Carhartt work boots made?
Carhartt has an extensive range of products that are manufactured in the USA, and the company still has manufacturers in Tennessee and Kentucky.
In the last 15 years they manufactured over 80 million garments in the United States, including hundreds of thousands of work boots.
Of their range of 75 products, four are advertised as Made in the USA. These include their 6” Made in the USA work boot and their Made in the USA 8” Work Boot.
Non-American made Carhatt work boots are manufactured all over the world, with a large number of them being manufactured in China and Mexico.
Who makes Carhartt work boots?
Carhatt work boots are manufactured by the American apparel company of the same name.
A family owned business that has been making high quality work boots and other apparel (jackets, vests, shirts, coats, jeans and fire-resistant clothing) for over 130 years.
The owners of the company today are the descendents of the man who founded the company in 1889, Hamilton Carhartt.
And though not all of their manufacturing today is in the USA, their corporate headquarters are still located in Dearborn Michigan. Every product that goes to market is designed from this corporate headquarters.
This corporate headquarters, alongside manufacturing plants in Tennessee and Kentucky provide 2000 well-paying jobs to Americans.
Does Carhartt make comfortable work boots?
This excellent review  by an ironman triathlete documents how Carhartt boots ‘work like a boot, but feel like a shoe’.
The reviewer, who swam 2 miles, cycled over 100 and then topped it off with a 26.2 mile marathon, gave the boot a 9 out of 10 for comfort.
During his eight hours of physical endurance, the fact the boot wrapped securely around his feet prevented him from developing blisters, and the Ortholite insoles with the EVA foam provide excellent comfort across the reviewers enduring experience.
What Carhartt work boots are made off?
Like all good work boots, Carhatt work boots are made from a combination of leather uppers and rubber/PVC outsoles. Depending on make the leather will either be tough full grain leather or a softer top-grain leather.
Weight: how heavy Carhart work boots are?
- Carhartt Men’s 6 Work Safety-Toe NWP Work Boot – 1.7 pounds per work boot
- Carhartt Bison pull-on Wellington- 2 pounds per work boot
- Carhartt MudRunner – 3 pounds per work boot
- Carhartt Wedge non steel toe work boot- 1.8 pounds per work boot
- Carhartt Logger- 2.3 pounds per work boot
- Carhartt Ground Force 6”- 1.7 pounds per work boot
- Carhartt Ground Force 8”- 1.9 pounds per work boot
- Carhartt Rugged Flex- 2.13 pounds per work boot
- Carhartt moc toe casual boot- 1 pound per work boot
- Carhartt Romeo slip on ankle boot- 1.5 pounds per work boot
- Carhartt hiker soft toe work boots- 2 pounds per work boot.
- Carhartt Men’s CMF6366 6 Inch Composite Toe Boot- 2.1 pounds per work boot
Are they true to size?
Generally these work boots run half a size larger.
So if you have size 12.5 feet for example, then your best bet will be to go for a size 12 exactly. Then they should be comfortable and snug.
On the other hand, some customers for the Carhartt Romeo slip on ankle boot claim they fit half a size smaller than expected, meaning your best bet here may be to buy a size 13.
What users/owners say about these work boots?
Users and owners of Carhatt work boots have on the whole been very impressed with the comfort, durability and appearance in work boots for across their range.
Carhatt’s own website has review sections for each of these aspects of their work boots, along with quality and functionality. And the star ratings for the work boots in our round up today consistently land in the 4 or 5* range.
Trustpilot is home to some slightly more critical reviews, with customers who have bought products in the wrong size struggling to attain a refund from their customer service team.
This youtube review from a fairly sizable Youtuber also outlines some issues with the Carhartt Six Inch Wedge Bison. The plastic welt makes the construction slightly weaker than stronger leather welts, the leather is quite thin and the outsole is quite thin and made of foam.
What colors do they come in?
Carhatt work boots come in:
- Summer brown
The different boot heights made by Carhartt
The Carhatt work boots come in the following heights (defined as the distance from the heel to the top of the rear shaft). The advantage of a taller boot is that it provides more support to your joints however the downside is it makes them slightly less flexible for you.
- 4 inches
- 6 Inches
- 8 Inches
- 11 Inches
- 15 inches
Does Carhartt make work boots with a zipper?
Yes, Carhartt does make work boots with a zipper. One such product is the Detroit Rugged which uses a combination of laces and a zipper for extra comfort and security.
What industries are Carhartt boots good for?
Any workers in industries requiring tough, durable boots will love Carhartt work boots.
They are ideal for use in
- Oil & gas industry
- Farming and ranching
Features you’ll find in the Carhartt work boots
- moc toe
- steel toe
- composite toe
- non steel toe
- square toe
- electrical hazard
Price: how much Carhartt boots cost?
Carhartt are a premium work boot brand so their boots generally retail for around $100 to $200, with most falling somewhere near $150.
If you’re on a low budget check out these best cheap work boots models (they’re cheap but not bad)
What’s the best place to buy Carhartt work boots?
The best place to purchase Carhartt work boots is on Amazon or their own website which is located right here
Does Carhartt have a warranty for their work boots?
Carhartt’s pride themselves on the craftsmanship and quality that go into every single work boot that they make. Because work boots are expected to deteriorate over time, and everyone’s working situation is different, they do not offer a warranty for any fixed period of time.
Rather, if you are not happy with the work boot that has been sent over to you, you can contact them and they will handle your enquiry on a case-by-case basis.
None of this affects your rights under US or international consumer law.
Bottom line: Is Carhartt a good work boot brand that you can trust?
Overall, after looking through dozens of products and hundreds of reviews, we are amazed with the quality of work boot offered by Carhartt, as well as their commitment, through good economic times and bad, to supporting American jobs and families.
However their vague warranty policy, and the poor reviews they have on trustpilot lead some people to wonder if they are a brand to be trusted.
We feel that you can still buy Carhartt work boots with confidence knowing that, in all likelihood, you will find yourself with a high quality product that will go the distance.
Several reviewers we have seen are buying their third or fourth pair- because while all work boots do eventually deteriorate, Carhartt’s have been trusted in the industry for over 130 years and they last longer than your usual work boot.
And while they are generally quite expensive for work boots, 130 years of quality craftsmanship and brand reputation is not something you can put a price on.
Best Carhartt Work Boots (Overall)
Team Members Working On This Page
Construction Professional, driver, crane operator, cleaner, head chef … these are just some of the jobs I did in the past. Working in all these different environments taught me that having good footwear to protect your feet from different dangers at work IS PARAMOUNT for any worker! On this website, I aim to share all my knowledge and personal experience in dealing with different footwear and foot care issues, and hopefully, you can get something out of it. Enjoy!
I’m an MA student currently working on a research project for King’s College London Museum of Life Sciences alongside my MA dissertation. I have been published in my student newspaper, The Spectator, and the Adam Smith Institute. I’m doing part of the research and writing of the content you’ll read on BestForMyFeet.com Enjoy!